Semantic Commit Messages
See how a minor change to your commit message style can make you a better programmer.
<scope> is optional
feat: allow overriding of webpack config ^--^ ^------------^ | | | +-> Summary in present tense. | +-------> Type: chore, docs, feat, fix, refactor, style, or test.
The various types of commits:
feat: (new feature for the user, not a new feature for build script)
fix: (bug fix for the user, not a fix to a build script)
docs: (changes to the documentation)
style: (formatting, missing semi colons, etc; no production code change)
refactor: (refactoring production code, eg. renaming a variable)
test: (adding missing tests, refactoring tests; no production code change)
chore: (updating grunt tasks etc; no production code change)
- Use lower case not title case!
- Use the present tense ("Add feature" not "Added feature")
- Use the imperative mood ("Move cursor to..." not "Moves cursor to...")
- Limit the first line to 72 characters or less
- Reference issues and pull requests liberally after the first line